The session will comprise:
- An overview of current work – high school with population of students with a large trauma base and low levels of literacy along the outer western corridor of Brisbane.
- A little about trauma impacts and cumulative harm impacts on brain development, including showing a 5- minute Youtube video, entitled How Brains are Built: The Core Story of Brain Development(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmVWOe1ky8s)
- Observations of students in the classroom: the typical ones such as being loud and aggressive; and the not so typical: sitting and staring ahead throughout a 70-minute lesson, head down on desk the entire time, or the ones who are too anxious to come into class
- References to her paper, ‘Adverse Childhood Experiences’, in publication for the journal Vision
- Some strategies to help deal this this cohort of learners.Maree Stevens’ presentation ad
- March 24, 2022
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm